Joe Vincent Meigs
This is an incredible rare MEIGS .50 calibre magazine rifle cartridge with a 50 round magazine.
Only three ever produced and this is serial 2.
One was kept by the descendants of the inventor and is now in a major collection in the US. The second is located at the Cody museum in the US. Donated by the army who received one from Meigs to be test fired.
This unique prototype 50-shot breech-loading rifle, only three in existence, was invented by Joe vincent Meigs(1840-1907) under U.S. patent N° 54934, issued may 22, 1866.
This rifle is designed with a metallic tube taking the place of the ordinary neck of the stock for the purpose of carrying the magazine. This tube attached to the walnut cheekpiece and the steel buttplate.
The frame of the rifle or receiver carries within it a guard and trigger assembly capable of sliding back and forth, producing the motions necessary to chamber and fire the arm from any position desired. During testing, so little disturbance was created with this action that 50 shots could be fired per minute with ease.
According to the testing, it was determined that a sufficiently accurate aim can be insured to cover an advancing cavalryman for the entire distance in which he could trot or even gallop his horse, thus rendering escape very limited. With this rifle no cartridge box was necessary; the weight of the rifle was not excessive. Handled by a man accustomed to the rifle, it can be fired at a rate of fifty shots in nineteen seconds. A new magazine could be inserted in a very brief time. The experimental prototype was tested by the Army for trials for four years during which time 38000 rounds were fired without failure.
A truly and historic American weapon.
Captain Meigs not only developed this firearm. He also invented the self lubricating bullet and a center fire primered cartridge that contained an internal primer suitable for tubular magazines.
The rifle itself is totally nickeled and the receiver is made out of brass. The twined cord around the forend is original to the gun and al three was produced like that. The slide mechanism and attached large foliate shaped trigger guard are of nickeled steel all attached to a bras tube stock with integral crescent buttplate that has the hinged trapdoor which allows removal and replacing the 50 round magazine. This magazine is present and original to the gun.
Rifle has a full length forestock of which the handguard is wrapped with varnished and braided cording as are all Meigs rifles; Rifle functions by depressing the small front trigger inside the trigger guard which allows the mechanism to be retracted which ejects the empty casing and loads a new round on the forward stroke.
The long bar at the rear of the trigger guard is the actual trigger.
The long lever on side of receiver when pressed forward acts as a cocking mechanism.
Back to "AMERICAN GUNS"