London Small Arms
Snider carbine, called "two band", cal. .577.
Made by L.S.A.Co. (London Small Arms) in 1870.
Brass buttstock, brass trigger guard, leather chained firing pin protector, wood and brass barrel plug.
Original period cartridge.
London Small Arms Co
The London Small Arms Company Ltd was a British Arms Manufacturer from the years 1866-1935.
Based in Tower Hamlets, London, London Small Arms Co. Ltd (LSA Co) was formed in an effort to compete against the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield by the gunsmiths who made up the London Armoury Company, which had gone out of business as a result of the end of the US Civil War.
Like their counterparts at BSA Co, LSA Co were contractors to the British Armed forces and produced many British Service Rifles- notably the Martini-Henry, Martini-Enfield, and Short Magazine Lee-Enfield rifles. They also produced a number of sporting arms and shotguns for the civilian market.
Unlike BSA and RSAF Enfield, however, LSA Co never managed to achieve high levels of production, preferring to focus on maintaining a greater level of workmanship on their firearms. Indeed, LSA Co guns are highly regarded by modern collectors of British military firearms because of their higher quality workmanship, which has led most of the existing and surviving LSA Co guns to be in (generally) better condition than their contemporaries from other manufacturers.
The market for military and civilian arms dropped markedly in the inter-war years, and London Small Arms Co. Ltd finally closed down in 1935, unable to compete with the more efficient factories of BSA Co and RSAF Enfield.
London Small Arms Company
British Lee Metford Mk.II military rifle with original 10 round magazine.
The rifle was used extensively in the Boer War.
The right side of the chamber displays, "Broad Arrow inside 'U'", which signifies Union of South Africa. The rifle was manufactured by London Small Arms Company in 1894 (antique!), as stated on the right side of the buttstock socket.
The model designation is stamped below the maker name and a date on the right side of the buttstock socket: "II.". The barrel was manufactured by Birmingham Small Arms Company, as indicated by markings on the chamber, "Three Crossed Rifles over BSA". The receiver displays large letters, "BSAR" (I am not sure about the meaning of these markings; South African Republic? refurbished by BSA? the letters may have been stamped if/when the barrel was replaced by BSA). The left side of the chamber displays following wording, "303 Nitro Proved". English proofs are present on the left side of the back of the barrel: "Crown over BP" (Birmingham Definite Barrel Passing Proof); "Crown over BV" (Birmingham Barrel Inspection after Proof); "Crown over NP" (Birmingham Nitro Proof).
The barrel has shallow and complex Henry patent rifling, designed for Metford type ammunition. The receiver displays also a second set of the serial numbers, which is not unusual for British rifles that were refurbished and reissued.
Many thanks to "COLLECTIBLEFIREARMS" for the photos.
Back to "BRITISH GUNS"