W&C Scott’s Revolver Bull Dog


The company was founded in Birmingham in 1832 (or 1834, according to sources) by Brothers William and Charles Scott to produce high-quality shotguns. The company was renamed W&C Scott and Sons when William’s two sons became partners.


The Scott brothers introduced many innovations, including safety notches that are still in use today. Their guns won many live pigeon prizes at international competitions between 1873 and 1913.


In 1897, the company merged with Webley to become Webley and Scott Revolver and Arms Co Ltd, with Webley taking over the production of revolvers and Scott continuing the production of rifles. It was this undertaking that developed the British Army’s ordained revolver dynasty from the late 19th century until the Second World War.


However, W&C Scott produced revolvers before the merger with Webley, including a probably very rare Bull Dog, the next one being the only known to the author of these lines. It is a virtually perfect copy of Webley’s No. 2 Bull Dog, perhaps even developed with the latter firm (2.5-inch gun, 16 cm total length, 490 g weight).


The only notable difference is that the trigger hook is less sharp than the real Webley.


The markings:

“The Scott” above the carcass, instead of the traditional “British Bull Dog.”

“W&C Scott & Sons London” on the barrel strip.

Birmingham hallmark and 450 CF calibre indication on the left side of the barrel.

“Steel” and Birmingham proof mark on the barrel.


Finally, the left side of the carcass bears Scott’s signature logo, a dungeon topped with a flag, and the serial number.


Jean-Christophe Plaquevent